Prepare For Florida Kidney Day Oct. 24-25, 2017
Please join us in Tallahassee for the 10th Annual Florida Kidney Day, recently scheduled for October 24th and 25th. Why so early this year, you ask??
The 2018 Legislative Session is scheduled to begin in January instead of March. Because of the early start, committee meetings for the 2018 session began in September 2017, with two additional weeks in October, two weeks in November and one week in December.
On Tuesday Oct. 24 from 3-4:30 pm, Kidney Day participants will attend the annual ESRD/AHCA (Agency for Healthcare Administration) Advisory Task Force Panel at AHCA headquarters. This is an opportunity to meet with Florida Medicaid staff to share patient and industry concerns. This year’s agenda (subject to change) presently includes:
- Encouraging Medicaid home dialysis as directed by budget language
- Transportation issues
- Insurance reform effect on Medicaid program
- Network adequacy issues
- Adding protein supplements to patient list for $25 monthly cash expenditures
Tuesday evening is a casual dinner to network, socialize and prepare for the next days events at the capitol. We review our specific legislative issues including a Q/A for all attendees to become more familiar with FRAA talking points.
On Wednesday Oct 25th, the FRAA will set up a display table on the entrance level of the capitol visible to all passing through the main security. Legislative meetings with both staff and members occur throughout the morning focused on educating decision makers. We enjoy an elegant lunch break at the private Governor’s Club before finishing the day with afternoon meetings.
If you are a regular (thank you) or have never attended, please join us to see democracy in action. We try to have fun and make this an enjoyable experience for both veterans and rookies. And remember on Kidney Day, regardless of your personal political beliefs, we are all members of the Kidney Party lobbying on behalf of our patients!
Some Florida Kidney Day tips:
- Contact your Senator and Representative about a week before attending. Let them know your will be visiting and try to set up a meeting in Tallahassee.
- Treat staff with the same respect as legislators, they are the gatekeepers.
- Be flexible with schedule changes and agree to meet with aides.
- Dress nice, but wear comfortable shoes and be prepared to do a lot of walking.
- Travel light with consideration of security and metal detectors.
- Bring lots of business cards.
For block Kidney Day room reservations, please contact the Four Points by Sheraton Tallahassee Downtown – 316 W. Tennessee Street, Tallahassee, Florida 32301 – (850) 422 4201.
Comments are closed